Re: changing to Debian from Mandrake

"Jeffrey W. Baker" wrote:
> ALSA is another package that is screwed up in unstable but you can blame
> ALSA developers for that, not Debian.

  also note that alsa itself is officially unstable, so it's expected to
be broken from time to time (the alsa itself, not only debian alsa
package). the API is still undergoing changes (even though that part
should be almost over now that they are at 0.9)

> GNOME without an X server (for which you need xserver-xfree86 package) and

  I think that's the package you have to explicitly install after
updating from X 3.x to X 4.x (not sure if that's still the case, but I
had to do it when I did the upgrade)

	erik