Re: Debian Java Question

On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 08:15:24PM -0400, Tb22687@aol.com wrote:
|      I recently purchased and installed Debian 2.2 - Potato.  When
| installing, I chose the "simple" application installation method.  I chose
| all of the programming packages offered and installed, yet I can't seem to
| find any java compiler, such as javac, jikes, or gjc.  I understood it was
| also possible to compile java with gcc, yet when I tried to compile a java
| script, it said that it couldn't execute 'jc1' because there was no file or
| directory.  What is the problem, and how do I go about getting a java
| compiler?  Thanks.

The problem is that Java isn't free.  If you have the non-free
packages Sun's jdk 1.1.8 is packaged as "jdk1.1".  If you add
    deb ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/debian/ woody non-free
to your /etc/apt/sources.list file you can get the "j2sdk" package,
made by the Blackdown folks.  Jikes is also packaged as "jikes",
though I'm not sure where to locate that package (jikes is free, btw).

gcc can handle java, through the fontend "gcj".  The java support was
integrated with the main gcc distribution in version 3, but that is
only in woody/sid.  (You _can_ use the 'gcc' command, but you have to
jump through several hoops to do it).  Install the 'gcj' package.

You can see what packages you have installed with
    dpkg -l \* | grep "^ii"
if you simply use "dpkg -l \*" you'll see everything, not just
installed stuff.  Also check out the "apt-cache" command.
"apt-cache search <keywords>" is extremely helpful for locating
packages.

-D