Debian Java Question

     I recently purchased and installed Debian 2.2 - Potato.  When
installing, I chose the "simple" application installation method.  I chose
all of the programming packages offered and installed, yet I can't seem to
find any java compiler, such as javac, jikes, or gjc.  I understood it was
also possible to compile java with gcc, yet when I tried to compile a java
script, it said that it couldn't execute 'jc1' because there was no file or
directory.  What is the problem, and how do I go about getting a java
compiler?  Thanks.