qmail -- supervise: fatal: unable to obtain lock

Hi everyone,
  I am experiencing a problem mentioned many many times on various
mailing lists (a google search turned up several), but I have not been
able to find a resolution anywhere.

I followed the instructions in the qmail HOWTO v2 (posted many places,
one of which is http://www.flounder.net/qmail/qmail-howto.html).

When I start my computer (or manually start svscan or qmail) I get the
error message:
supervise: fatal: unable to acquire log/supervise/lock: temporary failure
supervise: fatal: unable to acquire qmail-send/supervise/lock: temporary failure
supervise: fatal: unable to acquire qmail-smtpd/supervise/lock: temporary failure
supervise: fatal: unable to acquire log/supervise/lock: temporary failure

I have found many people also had this problem, but I could not find any
thread that solved it for me.  It seems the common problems that were
causing this symptom for other people included missing files and
incorrect permissions.  I'm pretty sure neither is the case for me.

I installed using the .deb packages for qmail, uscpi-tcp, dot-forward,
etc. from
ftp://ftp.innominate.org/pub/pape/Debian/potato/unofficial/binary-i386/
and then configured them as instructed in the howto linked above.

Could any of you point me to a link describing how to fix this?  Or
perhaps walk me through the solution?  Please cc: ben@hartshorne.net and
ben@adax.com in any replies, I'm not on the qmail-help list (and
ben@adax.com is not on debian-user).

I feel like a bit of a dolt, because I just started at a new company and
was extolling to them the virtues of debian and qmail, and I just spent
an entire day trying to install just those two on one computer, and
failed miserably.  :(

I'm cross posting this to debian-user because I am installing on debian
and using (unofficial) .deb packages; perhaps one of you has run into
this before.

Final twist: I don't have access to the machine as I'm writing this
mail, so can't give you folder listings etc.  I can on monday.  But I do
remember most of them.

(from memory)
/services/
drwxr-xr-x qmail-send -> /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-send
drwxr-xr-x qmail-smtpd -> /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smptpd

drwxr-xr-t /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-send/
-rwxr-xr-x /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-send/run
drwxr-xr-x /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-send/log/
-rwxr-xr-x /var/qmail/supervise/qmail/send/log/run

Thanks,

-ben

--
Ben Hartshorne	...Discarding smoothly, as we disembark,
ben@hartshorne.net All thoughts that held us wiser for a moment