Re: qmail -- supervise: fatal: unable to obtain lock

Ben Hartshorne <ben@hartshorne.net> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>   I am experiencing a problem mentioned many many times on various
> mailing lists (a google search turned up several), but I have not been
> able to find a resolution anywhere.

> I followed the instructions in the qmail HOWTO v2 (posted many places,
> one of which is http://www.flounder.net/qmail/qmail-howto.html).

Better use the most commonly used public documentation
http://www.lifewithqmail.org .

> When I start my computer (or manually start svscan or qmail) I get the
> error message:
> supervise: fatal: unable to acquire log/supervise/lock: temporary failure=
[...]
This looks like You have multiple instances of svscan run, You must have
done something wrong.

> I installed using the .deb packages for qmail, uscpi-tcp, dot-forward,
> etc. from
> ftp://ftp.innominate.org/pub/pape/Debian/potato/unofficial/binary-i386/
> and then configured them as instructed in the howto linked above.

This apt-source also includes a qmail-run package that sets up qmail as
default MTA on Debian GNU/Linux, just do
# apt-get install qmail-run
(undo the changes proposed by the howto first and read lwq)
On woody this package follows Life with qmail almost completely, see
http://innominate.org/~pape/Debian/qmail/qmail-run.html .

Regards, Gerrit.