trouble with acer usb cdrw drive and cdrecord

Hello.  I've been having trouble with cdrecord on my Acer 4406eu usb cdrw
drive.  Just as a check, I have verified that it works fine under windows
2k.  In fact, for a day it worked fine under linux, and I haven't been able
to figure out what changed that made it no longer work.  :(

It has no problem with reading, only with writing (using cdrecord).  I
consistently (regardless of the cd image I'm writing) get the same error
after the same number of bytes are written (this is using -V output):

Executing 'write_g1' command on Bus 0 Target 0, Lun 0 timeout 40s
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 02 4D 00 00 1F 00
cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 02 4D 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 09 00 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x09 (write error - loss of streaming) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 1.968s timeout 40s
cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 02 4D 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 09 00 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x09 (write error - loss of streaming) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 1.968s timeout 40s
write track data: error after 1206272 bytes

The usb drive is connected to a thinkpad X21 computer.  If any of you have
experience with this (or a similar) drive, or have any suggestions as to
how I might debug this problem, please let me know.  Oh yeah, and I'm
running kernel 2.4.12 and unstable, although I've also tested this with
2.4.10.
--
David