Re: Firewall on PC

Hi,

plz. wrap lines at 72 chars. Thx.
On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Davi Leal wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> --- OpenBSD 2.9 (or any other version)  versus "iptables" GNU/Linux
> 2.4.x ---
>
> If GNU/Linux is chosen, is Debian GNU/Linux 'testing' (woody) the right
> distribution?. No 'potato' due to it uses 2.2.x kernels.

Potato is easily adapted to 2.4 kernel. There is plenty written about it
on this list. You have to install modutils>2.4 and a newer ppp package.
I have a machine running this as firewall and it works fine. But I am a
lonely user, out of sight, so I do not know how it works on a big
firewall, but I do not think there would be much difference. iptables can
be configured pretty detailed.

One thing that should be taken into account is keeping the system up to
date. It goed very easy with Debian, but I have no idea how BSD works with
this.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan