Re: [DEB] Re: Debian S-L-O-W Upgrading

%% Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> writes:

  pmf> Well, I can't find them, so I must be looking in the wrong place. My
  pmf> sources.list file points to:

  pmf> http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

The latest PostgreSQL packages contain SSL support, so you have to look
for them in non-US; add this to your sources.list:

  deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

Then "apt-get update" and now you'll be able to "apt-get install postgresql"
and get version 7.1.3 from the "testing" distribution.

  pmf> When apt-get couldn't find postgresql, I went and browsed in that
  pmf> area under devel, doc, libs and misc in main, contrib and
  pmf> non-free, and I couldn't find any postgresql anywhere.

You can't really look around those areas and find anything useful--you
need to look at the package pool areas.

Anyway, why bother spelunking the FTP sites?  They are _not_ designed
for humans to wander through!  They are designed to be efficient for
automated tools like APT to find things in.

If you can't find it via APT then you should use the package locator at
the Debian site; go to the home page and pick "Debian Packages":

  http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

Enter "postgresql" as the keyword and choose "Any" distribution, then
"Search".  You'll find all the PostgreSQL related packages, and you can
click on them to find out all sorts of useful information, and to
download the DEB directly (you could then install it with "dpkg -i
<debfile>").  But that's a bad idea: use APT.  If you're just going to
download the DEB files you might as well be using RPM :).

 Paul D. Smith <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools