RE: Well that didn't work - Upgrading Woody from 2.2.19 to 2.4.9

Well, waking up an old thread here ...  I'm seeing the same issue.

Clean install of woody/testing
apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.10-686

Does its thing, warning about the lilo line.  I put that in and rerun lilo.
reboot.

Fails on the root mount.

Ran mkinitrd -k -o /boot/initrd-2.4.10-686 /lib/modules/2.4.10-686 - that
left the work files in place in /tmp/mkinitrd.22994.  Poking around in
there, the only module getting loaded is ext2 via loadmodules.  Yet the
config-2.4.10-686 file shows that all the IDE stuff is modules, yet they
weren't getting installed into the etc/modules file.

I believe it should be loading these as modules - is this right ?

ide-mod
ext2

(Nope - just tried it.  Changed the /etc/mkinitrd/modules file to include
ide-mod.  No go)

What's weird is I have another system that worked OK.  There were a couple
of boots where the root FS wasn't found properly, but it is now.  I can
mount /boot/initrd-2.4.10-686 via loopback, and the loadmodules file there
is loading megaraid and ext2.  This box obviously has a megaraid card in it.

The stock 2.2.19 kernel package has megaraid compiled in, so it wasn't the
modules list that was telling 2.4.10 to load it.  How did it determine what
modules to load up ?

--
Dean Carpenter
Principal Architect