Re: How do you apply an 'ac' patch?

Morbo wrote:

> Sorry, I know this is basic stuff, but what is the correct way to apply an
> Alan Cox patch?
> (Or probably any patch for that matter.)
>
> I've downloaded the 2.4.12 kernel source from kernel.org and also the
> 'patch-2.4.12-ac6'
> from Alan's folder, which contains a file named 'pot'
>
> >From previous posts I gathered I had to use the 'patch' program (sounds
> logical :) ).
> But what are the correct parameters and proceedure etc.?

The usual way one does this is as follows:

Your linux-2.4.12.tar.gz and patch-2.4.12-ac3.tar.gz are in /usr/src.
You have a shell with /usr/src as the current directory.

Untar the original source:

    tar xzf linux-2.4.12.tar.gz

Make the source's top directory your current directory:

    cd linux-2.4.12

Apply the patch:

    zcat ../patch-2.4.12-ac3 | patch -p1

See if patch complains about errors. If not, you've successfully patched
the kernel source.

Now do your usual kernel configure/build/install routine.

Craig