Re: hardware support in debian

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Gert-Jan wrote:

> Hello, I'm Gert-Jan Schouten from The Netherlands and I'm a beginning

Hi. (-:

> Debian user. I'm wondering where I can find a list of hardware that is
> compatibel with the latest Debian 2.2.r3. I don't see it anywhere on
> the site.... And if I put a brand new piece of hardware in my computer

http://www.debian.org/ -> Documentation -> Linux Hardware Compatibility
HOWTO which is http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/

It's also worth checking specific HOWTO's for whatever type of hardware
you're interested in.

> that is not yet supported by Debian, will there be any packages for
> it?? And if so, will you be able to download it from the debian site
> just like all the other packages?? It is of course also possible that

Drivers tend to be kernel things, so using the kernel-source-* packages
might be best, unless you're a newcomer to Linux in general. Debian
provides nice stuff for helping to build and install kernels like
kernel-package.

> the linux-drivers for new hardware will not be released in debian
> packages (*.deb) but in common linux archives (*.tar.gz). How should I
> install them in that case? On your site, you explain how to use the

Generally, you should probably install them to /usr/local/
which the system keeps for your use.

> different tools to handle and install debian packages, but I can't
> find anything about handling and installing *.tar.gz files. I tried
> Redhat 6.0 a few months ago, and it didn't support my celeron 500
> processor. Does Debian? I hope you can answer my questions and I must
(snip)

Well, it'll sure work with it. What do you mean by "support"? I'd expect
it to support it just as much as the latest Linux kernel does. Debian
offers different kernel images optimised for different processor
families, Celeron included.

-- Mark