Re: hardware support in debian

Hey Gert-Jan!

Welcome! The problem with hardware compatibility is that most hardware
is supported through the linux-kernel. These are more groups of hardware
(parallel printers, USB adapters, etc). For some hardware you may need
to do some research, but most modules and user-space apps are all in
woody/sid. Dont be afraid to use google or make xconfig :)
handling tarballs (tar.gz) is only needed if you want to do strange
things to your system, but a simple tar zxvf <package.tar.gz> is enough
to unpack the archive.
Debian supports all 386 arch's, as does Redhat (not sure for 6.0 though,
but it ought to).

Hope that answers some of your Q's...

mzzlz,

Alex (AdeL) de Landgraaf

Ps. and some hardware is supported in linux that isnt even avalible
(IA-64) :P