Re: timeoutd and long usernames

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 12:21:40PM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> I've decided to enforce idle timeouts on one of my servers and, to
> implement this, I've installed timeoutd on it.  Unfortunately, it
> seems that timeoutd doesn't like usernames in excess of 8 characters.

This is a known bug <http://bugs.debian.org/52456>, it was reported
almost two years ago.

> Is there an available patch to work around this problem?  Or maybe an
> alternate program to provide this functionality that doesn't have
> problems with long usernames?

Since timeoutd seems pretty obsolote now (the last maintainer upload
was in 1997 and the upstream has disappeared), I would suggest using
`autolog', which is also included in the Debian distribution and seems
to be properly maintained.

The description of the package says:

 Autolog terminates connections considered to be idle based on a large
 variety of parameters.

If you don't like autolog, you can try `pttymon'
<http://freshmeat.net/projects/pyttymon/>, which is not (yet)
packaged, but seems to be a bit more powerful.

--
BALI, Andra's                                  GPG keyID: 78560E1C
drewie@bigfoot.com     bali@debian.org     andras.bali@stud.bke.hu