Re: upgrading strategy

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 10:11:02AM +0000, Aurelio Turco wrote:

> Of all the Linux Distributions, Debian is said to have the most
> advanced packaging system.  I regard the packaging system as very
> important. So, I will be installing Debian (probably 2.2r2, from CD).
> But before I do that, I would like to clarify what the recommended
> upgrade strategy is.  I mean: After installing a (recent) Debian
> (stable) distribution, how should one keep it up to date?

One thing to remrember is "be safe than sorry".

Use of -u option for apt-get is a good idea to force display of upgraded
package in any environment.  Run with "-s" if you want to be absolutely
sure in advance.  I thought dist-upgrade takes time but resolves more
dependancy issues than simple upgrade.  So maybe used in more occasion.

Release version to release version upgrade should follow instruction on
debian web site.  But if you do partial upgrade to tesing, you may
expect some problem but it is rare.

In general, If dist-upgrade causes problem, go slow is what I do.

Install libc, then libdb*, then perl, then apt, ...in the sequence prior
to do dist-upgrade.

Cheers :-)

--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +