Re: Debian S-L-O-W Upgrading

Paul M Foster said:

> So I guess my question is: what do you other Debian users do to
> resolve the long lead times for Debian releases?

i've been usin debian since just after 2.0 was released ...
before that i was a slackware 3.x user. i did tons of
manual kernel and libc and other upgrades ...

all of my servers are running 2.2r3. some of my workstations
are running 3.0(woody). if something i REALLY need is not
in 2.2 (like the newest mysql) then i compile from source
and install in a dedicated directory. e.g. i dont install
mysql to /usr/local i install to /usr/local/mysql to keep it
contained. i also had to install perl5.6.1 for a network monitoring
app i use. i installed that to /usr/local/perl. i just compiled
sendmail 8.12.1 from woody on potato, took a little bit of
work to get it working, it spits out tons of warnings when it
runs but it seems to work(sofar).

i personally really like the slow updating. the one thing that
really shocked me was how fast debian 2.1 support(security) was
disconinued after 2.2 came out. that would be the one thing
that could turn me off to debian sometime in the future.
i understood(and still do) why, but it was still too bad to see
security support go so quickly. i was equally shocked to be
browsing sun's updates page and see updates released this year
for solaris 2.3 !! that OS has gotta be 8 or 9 years old ..maybe
older..

anyways, when it comes to it i compile from source rather then
upgrade to testing. only 1 server of mine runs testing(now
that i think about it). and it only runs 2 apps, both required
so much new stuff that i couldn't get it working on potato.(ezPublish
- http://developer.ez.no and webrt - http://www.fsck.com) i tried for
weeks but couldn't do it onpotato.

none of my systems run unstable. the testing systems do
not get upgraded often, last thing i want is a broken
system :)

linux 2.2 is becomming like debian 2.2 ..stable enough
that it only warrants a upgrade once every 6-8 months.

nate