Sound...

Hello there...

I just recompiled the kernel with sound support for maestro3, which is the
card I have. The kernel starts up ok, it says it detects the card. But I
get no sound from gnome or enlightenment... If I type esd as root I hear
the sounds (you know, the little scale it plays) but even under root there
is no sound for gnome or enlightement, can not open the mixer, etc) XMMS
plays ok using OSS, but if I try eSound it makes these terrible static
sounds every .5 seconds...  Can someone point me to what I need to
do? Thanks!