Re: Sound...

On Monday 22 October 2001 12:00 pm, Alexander Wallace wrote:
> Hello there...
>
> I just recompiled the kernel with sound support for maestro3,
I have the maestro3 too :^)

> which is the
> card I have. The kernel starts up ok, it says it detects the card. But I
> get no sound from gnome or enlightenment... If I type esd as root I hear
> the sounds (you know, the little scale it plays) but even under root there
> is no sound for gnome or enlightement, can not open the mixer, etc) XMMS
> plays ok using OSS, but if I try eSound it makes these terrible static
> sounds every .5 seconds...  Can someone point me to what I need to
> do? Thanks!

ummm, not too sure, but use a mixer application like aumix and turn up the
volume (software wise) . If you have a dell system, those volume control
buttons on your laptop won't work.  You can do the following ...

apt-get update &&
apt-get install aumix

if you want your normal user (NOT root) to be able to listen to sound, add
him/her/it to the audio group

addgroup USER_NAME audio

(do the above as root)

hope that helps