gzip/zcat changes file?

I am using a statistical package (Stata 7.0 for linux) that, among other things, can read in raw data and create a database from it. I have an ascii file of data, and the program reads the data just fine. The files that I work with are quite large, though, so it is useful to gzip them (in fact they come that way) and have the program call out to the shell and have it zcat the data to a named pipe and then read it from the pipe. When I do this, the program will read the data, but only the first observation. Can anyone think of something that gzip/zcat would be doing to the data to cause this behavior. For example, could it be that gzip/zcat somehow strips the carriage returns such that the data appear to be all on one record? I know that's not it, but perhaps something along those lines?

I know this is not debian-specific, but I went through tech support for this company and they said there was nothing they could do.

Thanks.

--
Brian J. Stults
Department of Sociology