Re: Win4Lin & 2.4.10

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 09:56:31AM -0700, Mautz, John wrote:
> My current PC is dual booting between Win 95 and Woody running 2.4.9-K6.  I
> want to take the plunge and nuke the Win 95 partition and run Win4Lin for
> the 3 apps that I need under Windoze.  I consider myself a newbie as I
> haven't compiled my own kernel before and I'm not very familure with all the
> in's and out's of the file system and package structure.  I've been taking
> some UNIX admin classes via Cal State Fullerton and am almost done (one
> class left).
>
> Anyway, I'm tired of dual booting and before I buy Win4Lin I want to make
> sure it will work.  I noticed their web site has a patch for generic 2.4.3.
> Will this same patch work for 2.4.10?
IIRC, they at least have patches for 2.4.9. You really run 2.4.12
instead of 2.4.10 btw.

(I assume you've win4lin 3, if you've win4lin 2, I suggest to upgrade to
win4lin 3, since newer patches only work with version 3)

If they don't have patches for 2.4.10, 2.4.9 patches won't work with
2.4.10 I guess, since quite a lot has changed between 2.4.9 and 2.4.10.
You could just run 2.4.9 then, works just fine for me (unless you've
problems with swap).

> I have an AMD K6-II 500.  Is it better to run the K6 options or stick with
> generic 386 under Win4Lin?
With K6 options is supposed to be faster, I never actually benchmarked
it though.
--
> Name:           Alson van der Meulen      <
> Personal:        alson@flutnet.org        <
> School:       alson@gymnasiumleiden.nl    <
I didn't think anybody would be doing any work at 2am, so I killed your job.