Re: Proposed Updates for "Potato"

Hi Holger,

Holger Rauch wrote:

> I got a few questions concerning proposed updates:
>
> 1. Are there proposed updates for "Potato"?

AFAIK, there are only security updates, although these are very good.

Add the following lines to your sources list, and upgrade normally using
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade once in a while and you should be
fine.

deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

> 2. Is it ALWAYS a good thing to install proposed updates for "Potato" or
> are there situations where one should refrain from installing them? If
> there are such situations, what are they?

You should always keep your potato up-to-date.  The distribution is
rock-solid and updates will only fix security issues, which should be
fixed in any case.  There is no new functionality provided, so the
chance that a new bug actually comes in this way is rather small.

Cheers,
Viktor
--
Viktor Rosenfeld