Re: utility to display syslog on tty8?

[ redirected back to debian-user; please send replies to the list ]

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Kristiadi Himawan wrote:

> I have loco, that can parse syslog become colorize
> but, i don't know how to set up /etc/syslog.conf :
> daemon,mail.*;\
>         news.=crit;news.=err;news.=notice;\
>         *.=debug;*.=info;\
>         *.=notice;*.=warn       /dev/tty8

It depends on what you want to do. For just sending the logs themselves to
tty8, uncommenting the lines in /etc/syslog.conf and then running
"/etc/init.d/sysklogd restart" should work.

Color is actually quite a bit more complex; syslogd has to send the logs
to a program which then has to turn around and send them back out to the
tty. Instructions for doing so are provided with the colorize package;
they'd be applicable to other colorizers to, I'd think.

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Aaron Hall wrote:
>
> -->I do much the same thing with my logs, but I filter them through a script
> -->that adds ANSI color to the output, which adds value both aesthetic
> -->(it looks cool) and practical (easy to spot unusual occurances). I use
> -->the colorize script; there are others.

- Aaron

--
Aaron Hall             :  Bugs>  Rabbit season!
aaron@vitaphone.net    :  Daffy> Duck season!

Macintosh/UNIX Weenie, Network Flack, and...eh, whatever.