Re: Help Please, reinstalling grub boot blocks

On Sun Oct 21 18:05:36 2001 "A.R. (Tom) Peters" wrote...

>There was a useful article on grub in the Linux Journal of May 2001.

Mmm, I'll look that up thanks.

>When grub comes up, you can go to command mode with 'c'.
>
>I must admit that, since your /boot/ is on another partition than / , I
>don't know how to tell grub about that.
>
>Some caveats:
>
>* grub counts disks and partitions from 0, not from 1
>* if you moved disks, their identity changed and the grub menu.lst will
>have improper names for them
>* only master IDE disks are bootable; "hde" sounds far down the chain.

It's a Compaq proliant, and the _real_ controlers on are an add in PCI
card, not the motehrboard. The BISo can boot from them.

First controler
---------------
Priary HDA Slave HDB

Second controler
---------------
Priary HDC Slave HDD

Third controler
---------------
Priary HDE Slave HDF

Fourth controler
---------------
Priary HDG Slave HDH

The trick turns out to be hat if you want to put the boot block in the MBR
of the hard disk, you have to first make a grub boot floppy, then boot from
it. Then you can "setip" the hard drive.

I had fought this a couple of weeks agao, and acidently stumbled upon a
working combination, but I did not understand why. Today I found a tiny
note in the Grub docs that sort of aludes to this.

Thanks for the help.
--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.