Re: Help Please, reinstalling grub boot blocks

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Stan Brown wrote:

> I'm in the process of tyring to to recover from a failed root disk.
>
> I have managed to get all the files copied over to the new drive sucesfully
> (I believe). The root disk consists of 2 filesystem partitons.
>
> / and /boot which are /dev/hde4 and /dev/hde1 respectivly.
>
> I can now boot using the rescue floppy wiht "rescue root=/dev/hde4".
> I have been using grub for a boot loader on this system, so I know that
> it's configuration files are correct. However, I can't seem to get it to
> reinstall the boot blocks.
>
> Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this, or pointers to a
> tutorial, or other docs?

There was a useful article on grub in the Linux Journal of May 2001.

When grub comes up, you can go to command mode with 'c'.

I must admit that, since your /boot/ is on another partition than / , I
don't know how to tell grub about that.

Some caveats:

* grub counts disks and partitions from 0, not from 1
* if you moved disks, their identity changed and the grub menu.lst will
have improper names for them
* only master IDE disks are bootable; "hde" sounds far down the chain.

--

	Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters
		NL-1062 KD nr 149	tel.    +31-204080204
 			Amsterdam	e-mail  tpeters@xs4all.nl