what on earth happened to the Debian menus in unstable???

I run two debian systems, one with unstable, and one with testing.

In testing (and previously in unstable), the Debian `Apps' menu
(accessed through gnome) is nicely organized, looks nice, and is easy to
use.

In unstable, however (and I don't recall exactly when it changed), the
Apps menu is a huge blodgerous mess, with seemingly every other program
on the system stuck into the top-level Apps menu.  THe resulting menu is
so long that it overflows off the top and bottom of my screen.

So ... what happened?  Did lots of programs get added to the menus,
without enough thought about categorization?  Is something broken?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?