Re: Boot Process

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 06:26:22PM -0500, Michael Grover wrote:
> Can Some tell me if there is a link on the debian web site that gives
> detailed information on the boot process, like when files get started
> from
> the init.d directory, etc etc
>
>      mike...

there's a reasonably inaccurate rendition at the newbiedoc
project:

	http://newbieDoc.sourceForge.net/system/runlevels-intro.html

basically, you can trace it yourself by looking in

	/etc/inittab

which -- on initial system startup -- specifies that

	/etc/init.d/rcS

will be called.  then, on entering any runlevel (including the
initial default, which is also set in /etc/inittab) inittab then
refers to

	/etc/init.d/rc <RUNLEVEL>

if you have a look at that script you'll see it calls scripts
matching the pattern

	# KILL services for this runlevel: K??*
	/etc/rc<RUNLEVEL>.d/K[0-9][0-9]* stop

	# START services for this runlevel: S??*
	/etc/rc<RUNLEVEL>.d/S[0-9][0-9]* start

those are typically symlinks (see 'man ln') to the actual
startup/stop daemon scripts in the /etc/init.d/* directory. to
munge them to your heart's content, try

	update-rc.d
	(man update-rc.d)

unless you want to do things by hand and face the likelihood of
breaking things in subtle and not-so-subtle ways.

in typical *nix fashion, this question is one you can answer
yuorself, AFTER you figure out what to look for, and where to
look for it. (and may the force be with you...)

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #34 from Martin/madduck <>
: