Hello everybody

Title: Hello everybody ,

Hello everybody ,

         I  wanted to share with all of you my desperation to get a hang of Solaris .

All of you , being votaries of the Open Source Movement ,  could perhaps guide me as to how I can have Solaris on my box [I am speaking of both office and home , architectures being vastly different] .

  I am broke , and can’t pay Sun micro any money  that they might ask .

    Please guide me on this .

I gather that Solaris is a  member of the Unix family , a cousin of  Linux .

Could somebody in the know of things , please tell me from where I can gather information on  :

1.     What really is Solaris ?

2.     Is it really a member of the Unix family ?

3.     How do you work on it ? (Like in Unix , SCO , Linux etc ?)

4.     How different is it from other members of the Unix family .

5.     How and from where can I get Solaris such that I get all that can be summed up as ‘Solaris’ , and that too , free (!) of cost.

6.     Can I stage manage a Solaris partition , by working  through the Linux (I of course mean : a) Setting up a proper partition for Solaris b) copying him there c)Telling lilo to look there and also provide ability to boot Solaris , side by side with Lin and Win)

I shall be ‘immensely’ grateful for all help and guidance anybody might be able to render.

Thanks in advance,

(shyamk@eth.net)