Re: Hello everybody

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 09:09:07AM +0530, shyamk@eth.net wrote:
> Hello everybody ,Hello everybody ,
>
> I  wanted to share with all of you my desperation to get a hang of
> Solaris .
>
> All of you , being votaries of the Open Source Movement ,  could
> perhaps guide me as to how I can have Solaris on my box [I am speaking
> of both office and home , architectures being vastly different] .

As a free software advocate, I'd say don't. Solaris is neither free
software nor open source. Perhaps you have to for some reason, though;
of the proprietary Unices it's probably the one with the fewest
problems.

>   I am broke , and can't pay Sun micro any money  that they might ask .

Solaris 8 is free in terms of cost. See
<URL:http://www.sun.com/solaris/binaries/>.

> I gather that Solaris is a  member of the Unix family , a cousin of
> Linux .
>
> Could somebody in the know of things , please tell me from where I can
> gather information on  :
>
> 1.     What really is Solaris ?
>
> 2.     Is it really a member of the Unix family ?

Solaris is the successor to SunOS, which is a BSD-derived Unix that
predates Linux by almost a decade. See
<URL:http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/>.

> 4.     How different is it from other members of the Unix family .

As much as any of the others. A lot of people tend to install the GNU
tools on it in order to make normal user-level work bearable.

Anything else is really beyond the scope of this list. I don't know of a
better mailing list, but you might try the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup.

Cheers,