Re: New troubles with X

"Karsten M. Self" wrote:

> on Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 09:00:54PM -0700, Robert Gill (locke@apozem.org) wrote:
> > Today I updated my sid machine, just as I do every day.  There were some
> > new X packages and they seemed to install cleanly.  I even restarted X
> > just to double check, and everything ran fine.  So this is probably
> > something I foolishly brought on myself.
> > I was reading the list and there were a few posts on ext3.  This
> > reminded me that I've been meaning to try that out since my cat keeps
> > pulling out my power cords.  So I downloaded kernel-2.4.12 and the ac3
> > patch (I was previously running 2.4.10), enabled ext3 support and compiled.
> > No problems there.  Then I rebooted and enabled journaling with
> > 'tune2fs -j /dev/hdb1`, again there were apparently no problems.  When I
> > startx I get these errors (pardon long lines):
> >
> > Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc, removing from list!
> > Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled, removing from list!
> > Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled, removing from list!
> > Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi, removing from list!
> > Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi, removing from list!
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > could not open default font 'fixed'
> >

> > Oddly the speedo and type1 fonts seem to be exempt from these errors.
> > Anyone have a clue?  I'll post my entire XFree86.log on request.
>
> Reinstall fonts:
>
>     $ apt-get install --reinstall xfonts-misc xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi
>
> (Check package names, I'm not positive on that).
>
> I also found my 'fixed' alias didn't exist, posted recently to this
> list, see archives.
>
> Peace.

That did not totally fix my problem.
misc is readable now and X starts but the fonts are just awfull
since 100dpi and 75 dpi were still unreadable.

Finally found it: /etc/X11/fonts/[100dpi|75dpi]  still contained *.alias
files pertaining to the biznet family of fonts (uninstalled)
removing those files and editing
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/fonts.alias
in order to remove the lines corresponding to those fonts (A comment
divides the fonts comming from different packages) INCLUDING the last
line "# This file can be removed" things came back to normal.

Michel.