Re: Fonts aren't quite right (different problem)

on Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 11:26:44PM -0400, dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:

> Ok, I know you're all tired of hearing about X font problems, but this
> problem is a bit different and wasn't solved by any of the recently
> posted solutions.
>
> Ok, I have a woody box (that got sid by accident several weeks ago).
> I tried reordering the FontPath lines in the X config file.  Then I
> got some messed up fonts in X and the warning that the Type1 and
> Speedo directories weren't valid FontPaths.  The visual problem is
> that in gnome-terminal, gvim, and x-chat the font is way too big now.
> (gvim is set in the .vimrc to use the same font as gnome-terminal).
> It is a lucidatypwriter font (I don't know what x-chat uses).  Also, a
> while back I installed the jmk fonts and xconsole got a nice looking
> kinda-itallic fancy like font.  Now it is back to basic block letters.
>
> I tried purging and reinstalling all the xfont packages (gsfonts too)
> that I have.  No change.  I tried the alias tweak that Karsten needed
> but that caused 'fixed' to not be found (ie the original is correct
> for my machine but not Karsten's modification).

Incidentally, the confirmational phase of my tweak may be of use.  The
xfontsel program will show you what foundries, families, etc., of fonts
are available.  You can tweak your configuration (and check aliases) to
the point that things work properly.  To this extent, it's a useful
debug tool.

Peace.