Fonts aren't quite right (different problem)

Ok, I know you're all tired of hearing about X font problems, but this
problem is a bit different and wasn't solved by any of the recently
posted solutions.

Ok, I have a woody box (that got sid by accident several weeks ago).
I tried reordering the FontPath lines in the X config file.  Then I
got some messed up fonts in X and the warning that the Type1 and
Speedo directories weren't valid FontPaths.  The visual problem is
that in gnome-terminal, gvim, and x-chat the font is way too big now.
(gvim is set in the .vimrc to use the same font as gnome-terminal).
It is a lucidatypwriter font (I don't know what x-chat uses).  Also, a
while back I installed the jmk fonts and xconsole got a nice looking
kinda-itallic fancy like font.  Now it is back to basic block letters.

I tried purging and reinstalling all the xfont packages (gsfonts too)
that I have.  No change.  I tried the alias tweak that Karsten needed
but that caused 'fixed' to not be found (ie the original is correct
for my machine but not Karsten's modification).

I even moved my config out of the way and reran dexconf to build a new
config file, but no joy.

I have xfs and xfs-xtt but I'm not using them.  The log always said
that those font entries weren't valid anyways.

If anyone has any suggestions left, I'm all ears :-).  (Including
suggestions for easy to read but not blind-as-a-bat-huge fonts to use
instead)

TIA
-D