Woody & Gnome problems

I've just installed woody with xfree 4.1 and gnome 1.4, all from scratch.

I've had some problems to launch X because issuing "startx" linux has
been complaining that X was not executable. I've relinked X (which
pointed to a non existent xserver_svga) to XFree86 and it all worked
properly AS ROOT.

Unfortunately, under a newly-defined user (dada) X invariably fails to
start.  Now I've tried with the classical .xinitrc & .xsession with
the only line "gnome-session" to no avail.

What's wrong with it and what should I do or check?

Vittorio