Re: upgrading to Woody, apt-utils question

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 04:17:53PM -0700, D. wrote:
>   I did a dist upgrade to Woody and keep receiving the error not
> preconfiguring the package, apt-utils is not installed.
>   My question is when you do a upgrade like this why isn't apt-utils
> installed with the upgrade if it is required for configuring the
> packages?

You don't actually need apt-utils, which is why it isn't installed. It's
required for *pre*configuring packages, that is configuring them before
an installation run starts so that you can (sometimes) let the whole
install proceed without interruption. However, if preconfiguration isn't
available, debconf will fall back to configuring packages one by one as
they're installed.

If not being able to preconfigure a package actually causes a real
problem (a halted or a broken installation) as opposed to a warning
message, then that is a bug either in debconf or in the particular
package concerned. You don't say if this warning stops you installing
packages, though.

Also, debconf recommends apt-utils. apt-get doesn't follow recommends (a
design decision), but if you had upgraded with dselect then apt-utils
would have been selected for installation.

Cheers,