Re: exim and delayed deliveries

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 09:10:24AM -0700, Greg Wiley wrote:
| On Thursday, October 18, 2001 8:12 PM, dsh8290@rit.edu wrote:
|
| > The problem that sometimes arises is that with a mainly default
| > install, exim simply queues messages for delivery but doesn't actually
| > deliver them until a cron job runs and tells it to.
| >
| > My question is : is there a way to (asynchronously so mutt's
| > performance doesn't suffer) make exim send the messages immediately
| > rather than just queueing them?
|
| It isn't run by a cron job in the default install--rather,
| a -q<time> is passed on the command line which
| tells exim how often to launch queue-runners.

Odd that you say that :

$ dpkg -S /etc/cron.d/exim
exim: /etc/cron.d/exim

$ cat /etc/cron.d/exim
# /etc/cron.d/exim: crontab fragment for exim

# Run queue every 15 minutes
08,23,38,53 *     * * *     mail   if [ -x /usr/sbin/exim -a -f /etc/exim/exim.conf ]; then /usr/sbin/exim -q ; fi

I installed potato, then upgraded to woody once upon a time.  I don't
know if exim has changed since then, but I did not manually create
that crontab.

| Make sure that the "queue_remote_domains"
| option is not set in your exim.conf (also that the

I don't see it anywhere.

| -odqr option is not passed on the cmd line).

I'll check this.

| queue_remote_domains is used to reduce the
| number of connections to remote hosts but it
| is not really useful for workstations.

I see (now).

Osamu : thanks too, I see now that the command you suggested is
essentially the same as the cronjob, just shorter.

Thanks,
-D