exim and delayed deliveries

On my debian box I use exim as the MTA.  Since I use mutt as my MUA,
it uses exim as the underlying transport mechanism.  This is all fine.
The problem that sometimes arises is that with a mainly default
install, exim simply queues messages for delivery but doesn't actually
deliver them until a cron job runs and tells it to.  This is a problem
when I want to send a mail, then shut the computer off.  It could take
up to 15 minutes for exim to send the mail.  The alternative of
becoming root and running the cron job's command immediately isn't
convenient either.

My question is : is there a way to (asynchronously so mutt's
performance doesn't suffer) make exim send the messages immediately
rather than just queueing them?

BTW, my system is set up as a "smarthost relay" (IIR the term C).  It
sends all messages to a "real" server.

TIA,
-D