Re: X in Woody: you gotta be fscking kidding!

* Adam Heath (doogie@debian.org) spake thusly:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
>
> > 2. Dexconf asks you if you want to overwrite XF86Config-4.
> >    If you answer "no", it will proceed with questions about
> >    your hardware etc.
> >    It should FOAD (which part of "no" does it not understand?).
>
> Not quite.
>
> It will ask you questions that you didn't answer the last time you ran it.
> That's the way debconf(which is what dexconf uses as its backend) works.  This
> does not mean it will process those values.

Let me get this staright, with dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
running on other vc:

The XFree86 X server's configuration file is /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

"OK"

The file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 already exists;
... (overwrite)

"Yes"

For the X Window System graphical user interface to operate correctly
... (select video card)

"ati", "OK"

The X server configuration file

"ATI Rage Pro", "OK"

Rather than communicating directly with the video
... (use kernel fb driver)

"Yes"

Typically, the amount of dedicated memory

"OK"

For the X server to handle your keyboard correctly,

"pc104", "OK"

For the X Window System graphical user interface to operate correctly,
... (mouse)

"/dev/misc/psaux", "OK"

If in doubt, choose the first option.
"imps/2", "OK"

Most programs in the X Window System expect your mouse to have 3 buttons
... (emulate)
"No"

Events from a wheeled mouse's wheel can be treated as clicks
"Yes"

The X server configuration file associates your monitor
"Dell LCD", "OK"

If your monitor is a liquid-crystal display
"Yes"

For the X Window System graphical user interface to operate correctly
"Medium", "OK"

Choose the "best" resolution and refresh rate
"1024x768 @ 60Hz", "OK"

If there are some resolutions you would not like
untick everything above 1024x768, "OK"

Usually 24-bit color is desirable
"24", "OK"

Wrote X server configuration to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

So, you are saying that if I run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 now,
it will only ask questions I haven't answered? IOW, it won't
ask anything, since I've just answered every question? Lessee...

The XFree86 X server's configuration file is /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

"OK"

The file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 already exists;
... (overwrite)

"No"

For the X Window System graphical user interface to operate correctly
... (select video card)
and so on.

Care to test that on your system?

And for the genius who says nvidia driver is in the list: get a clue.

Dima