Re: Moving Debian to a new PC

* Raffaele Sandrini <rasa2@gmx.ch> [2001.10.19 20:40:46+0200]:
> I i'm womndering how i can manage it to get ALL of the data from my Linux
> partition to the new system WITHOUT LOOSING ANY PERMISSION AND FILE DATA. I
> must be over the LAN. I can't change HDDs. I think that NFS is not good for
> that... due permission problems. is it possible to generate a "tar pipe" over
> thet net or something?

from the old host to the new one:
cd /home/mydata; tar cfz - . \
  | ssh me@otherhost '(cd /where/to/store; tar xfz -)'

from the new one to the old one.
cd /where/to/store; \
  ssh me@myoldhost '(cd /home/mydata; tar cfz - .)' | tar xfz

better yet:

rsync -avutP -e ssh me@myoldhost:/home/mydata/
  me@otherhost:/where/to/store

don't forget the trailing slash after mydata/ in the rsync case. if
rsync craps out, just restart it. it'll pick up where it left off.
permissions preserved thanks to -a

substitute ssh for rsh if you have to or if you are suicidal -- or if
the network is secure and you want more speed.

i'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.