RE: Moving Debian to a new PC

On 19-Oct-2001 Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have bought me a new computer.
>
> I i'm womndering how i can manage it to get ALL of the data from my Linux
> partition to the new system WITHOUT LOOSING ANY PERMISSION AND FILE DATA. I
> must be over the LAN. I can't change HDDs. I think that NFS is not good for
> that... due permission problems. is it possible to generate a "tar pipe" over
> thet net or something?

Simple steps:
on the old box ->
  # dpkg --get-selections > package_list
  # tar czvf etc.tgz /etc
  # tar czvf home.tgz /home
  # -- repeat for anoy other dir you have put things like /usr/local --

you can put package_list on a floppy or something to get it to the new machine
during install.

on the new box ->
  # dpkg --set-selections < package_list
    now the new box has exactly the same package list as the old one

>From this point I usually network copy the tarballs I created and then either
extract them into palce or in the case of /etc grab the parts I need.  Place
the tarballs somewhere on your drive (/root maybe) for a while until you know
you no longer need them.

-----
We have buried the putrid corpse of Liberty. -- Benito Mussolini