Re: Remove a half-configured package on Potato/Progeny/Testing...

In article <[🔎] 20011019015801.92876.qmail@web11201.mail.yahoo.com>
jpglutting@yahoo.com writes:

>testing. When I tried to install xserver-xfree86
>(4.1), it started out fine, identified my printer, and
>then hung while installing/configuring. This also

>Now though, I can't uninstall xserver-xfree86 - it
>exits with error status 10, because there is a problem
>with the pre-removal script. So I can't configure it
>or remove it.

I had a similar problem, my install bombed with an error rather than
hung.  I wound up creating the configuration file using xf86cfg then
copying it to /etc/X11, and making the /etc/X11/X link to
/usr/???/xserver-xfree86 and got X working.  After that I renamed the
postinstall script and ran the install to convince the system it was
installed properly.  (If you would rather remove, you can rename the
prerm script instead.)

A few hours later I got a responce here about how to debug the
install, and testing seemed to indicate that both postinst and prerm
assumed the default xserver would be found in a dpkg database where it
wasn't.  I didn't submit a bug because I figured my multiple
install/remove debugging attempts might have messed things up.

If others are experincing this problem, a bug should be submitted.
(use reportbug)
--
Blars Blarson 					blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html