Remove a half-configured package on Potato/Progeny/Testing...

Hi,

I upgraded my Potato box to Progeny, and now to Debian
testing. When I tried to install xserver-xfree86
(4.1), it started out fine, identified my printer, and
then hung while installing/configuring. This also
happened when I upgraded to Progeny/Newton. In the
earlier case I just uninstalled the package.

Now though, I can't uninstall xserver-xfree86 - it
exits with error status 10, because there is a problem
with the pre-removal script. So I can't configure it
or remove it. I am sure this has happened to other
people - what can I do? There are no error messages on
the install/configure - it just hangs (I have left it
for up to 30 minutes) until I exit with Ctrl-C.

Oh, this also happened when I had Progeny installed -
it would not let me uninstall qps (which had installed
normally) because of a problem with the pre-removal
script. The next day, after a couple of reboots, it
just unistalled with a simple "dpkg --uninstall qps".
I have not had similar luck with xfree...

Cheers,

JP