2.4.9 hanging on laptop

I have the vanilla kernel 2.2.18pre21 image running fine on a WinBook XL
laptop.

I tried compiling kernel 2.4.9 from source but seem to have screwed
something up - the system appears to boot okay and ends up at the login
prompt, but the keyboard is completely unresponsive. gpm starts up but
there's no response from the mouse either.

(The 2.2.18pre21 image and the homebuilt 2.4.9 are mounting the same root
 filesystem.)

I tried applying the patch mentioned at
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0108.2/0785.html out of
desperation, but no change.

Any clues? I'm lost. If anyone does have 2.4.9 running fine on such a
machine, I'd appreciate a look at your kernel .config file so I can
compare it against mine. I'd also be happy to share mine with anyone who
cares.

Thanks!!

-- Mark