Re: Rescye disk that understands Reiserfs ?

* Stan Brown (stanb@awod.com) [011018 08:26]:
> One of my Debuan boxes crashed last night. As I watched it crawl trhough
> fsck'g a 40G partition, it dwaned on me that there was a better way to do
> this.
>
> So, I wnat to convert my root partiton to Reiserfs. I have 2 partions on
> that disk / and /boot. I have 2 other disks which are already Reiserfs. So

Well, there is a better way (regardless of which fs you use): separate
it up into smaller partitions. I'd do a 40 GB drive something like this:

(swap)     ~2xRAM
/boot      ~40MB
/           2GB
/usr       15GB
/var        2GB
/home      20GB
/tmp*        2GB

* sometimes I do /tmp, sometimes /usr/local, sometimes both. Your call,
really. Is this just a personal system, or are there many users? In that
case, are you the only admin?

That should give you plenty of space everywhere. You could even safely
increase /home by halving /tmp /var and / and taking 5-8GB off /usr, if
you need a whole mess of space on one partition for some reason.

While you're rebuilding filesystems anyway, this means you'll be backing
up up all your data and trashing partitions, so now's as good a time as
any! You'll appreciate it when you lose a partition.

good times,

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.