Problem booting my system

Hello Debian enthusiasts,

I'm having difficulty getting my system to boot off my SCSI hard disk.  It
boots off the rescue diskette, and I've rerun lilo after checking over the
lilo.conf file.  I got the following when I ran lilo:

Reading boot sector from /dev/sda
Warning: /dev/sda is not on the first disk
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19pre17-compact
Added linux *

The warning concerned me, but I figured it was because I had BIOS set to
boot off the floppy first, if possible.  With boot sequence floppy, scsi,
cd, the system hangs after printing "LI" (without floppy in the drive).  I
can get the system up if I put a rescue floppy in and do
	boot:  rescue root=/dev/sd2.

With the boot sequence having scsi first, a program (the kernel, I assume)
runs and prints "001 " in an endless loop, filling the screen until I
I've disabled it in BIOS in addition to not selecting it as a boot drive.
The motherboard is an EPoX K7XA with 800 MHz Athlon processor.

Any ideas of where to go from here?  This first happened when rebooting
after an 'apt-get upgrade' on my packages from the testing distribution of
the 2.4 kernel.  But obviously the problem was something else, because I've
now installed the potato release and the problem hasn't gone away.

Thanks for any clues,
Kris