Re: x-window-system-core_4.1.0-7_all.deb

Quoth "Branden Robinson" <branden@debian.org>
>On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 01:37:05PM +0800, Michael Robinson wrote:
>> I don't know what you did from 4.1.0-6 to 4.1.0-7, but it broke my Dell
i5000e
>> (ATI Rage Mobility 128, using ati driver).  The screen was covered with
>> random display glitches (correlated with CPU utilization), and when I
>> switched back to console mode, the system locked up.
>>
>> Downgrading to 4.1.0-6 restored normal system operation.
>>
>> If you need any further information, please let me know.
>
>In the future, please ask for help on the debian-user mailing list first.
>
>You can always find out what I did to a package by reading its changelog.
>
>There were no patches applied to the ATI drivers between -6 and -7.

This sounds on the face of it to be the same as a problem I have had with X
since the upgrade from 3.3.6.

I'm using an S3 card and the email copied below quotes a patch which is
reputed to solve the problem. I lack the skill and the resources to make it
work.

Perhaps you could apply your learned mind to it Branden.

thanks
Mark

> Egbert Eich wrote:
> >
> > Chris Kuethe writes:
> >  > some time ago i noted XFree 4 doing wierd things to my display, but
only
> >  > in bit depths greater than 8. hoping that this may have been fixed in
> >  > ... any idea on where to go from here?
> >
> > Difficult to say...
> >
> > What happens if you hit the hotkey to toggle you thru LCD->Dual->CRT
> > mode? How does the display look like once the mode is fully restored?
>
> no change - still the funky stuff, which incidentally is available for
> your enjoyment at http://www.ualberta.ca/~ckuethe/ . it's the files
> beginning witht "xf86-"
>
> > Oops, I remember: there was a problem in the driver:
> > check
> > trident_dac.c
> > Search for SSetup:
> > The lines where the register values are initialized need to read:
> >
> >     /* Video */
> >     OUTB(0x3C4,0x20);
> >     pReg->tridentRegs3C4[SSetup] = INB(0x3C5) | 0x4;
> >     pReg->tridentRegs3C4[SKey] = 0x00;
> >     pReg->tridentRegs3C4[SPKey] = 0xC0;
> >
> > But I'm not sure if this is your problem.
> >
> > Egbert.
>
> i've applied the patch and it does not help. i ran x with logging turned
> up to 10, but it didn't seem to produce anything else useful.

I could not open the screendump, but this sounds very similar to a problem I
am having using the s3 driver.

There is a patch for s3 mentioned in the archives of this list at
http://xfree86.org/pipermail/xpert/2001-July/010102.html available at
http://www.user1.netcarrier.com/~kbrosius/pages/virge.html.

 I have not applied it yet as it means a bit of learning for me ... I am
still tied up in .debs for X, and I need to free up some disk space for the
source.

Just wondering if these two problems are possibly related

Mark