Re: /proc permissions

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 01:51:30PM +0000, andrej hocevar wrote:
> dear karsten,
> did you deliberately insult me with your self-boasting remarks or
> was it just me reacting prickly?

I did not read all of this thread.  But I can assure you Karsten is a
nice fellow with some wits.

> > Please use postfix quoting format:  your reply goes below the material
Look there is "Please".

Anyway, here is my suggestion as below:
> > > so now i've found out that there's also the /proc/sys/proc directory
> > > to which one should be able to write and thus make modifications to
> > > the system. since it is empty, do i just have to create a new file
> > > with the name /proc/sys/proc/pci and append only the lines i first
> > > wanted to add to /proc/pci? or do i need to copy the whole /proc/pci
> > > plus the new lines?

You can echo data into some procfile system entries to set parameter if it
is supported and writable.

> > IIRC (too lazy to search kernel docs:  /usr/src/linuc/Documentation),
> > /proc/sys/pci is one of the PCI support options in the kernel.  You
> > *cannot* create files under /proc via standard filesystem commands.
> > That's not how proc works.  The directory and file structure are
> > determined by your kernel.  You'll need to compile in appropriate
> > support.
Yes sure, procfile system entries, which look like files, are created by
this way.  You can only modify content of it from command line.

> > Peace.
Cheers ;-)
--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +