Re: /proc permissions

dear karsten,
did you deliberately insult me with your self-boasting remarks or
was it just me reacting prickly? to me it seems that my question
was pretty much clear and thus your reply does not make much sense.
it's happened before to me that someone didn't like my subject in
connection with the content, even though my question was answered
before him by someone who understood it. so what is it about my
mails that make you react irritable? yes, i know it's my not using
the shift-key etc., but this is a list for our debian-linux-related
problems, isn't it. so why then do you feel the urge to act as if i
were illiterate? as a matter of fact, i'm not. i just don't know how
to process those /proc files.
as of the cc i'd like to apologize. it's a function of mutt i didn't
know. it should be gone now, though. Sorry for that.
please, don't make even more insulting generalizations about other
people's laziness. my second mail on this topic clearly shows that i
must have aquired at least some knowledge about the filesystem,
otherwise i could not have known anything about /proc/sys (about which i
read in the very same /usr/src/linux/documentation directory that
you've mentioned).
please, check out the file proc.txt, chapter 3, reading and
modifying ..., in particular line 348: to change a value, simply echo the
new value into the file ...
if you ever intend to help me again, please consider this advice on
echoing.

nb: my thoughts on quoting are unfortunately different from yours.
in general, when writing anything similar to (scientific) research
or any other papers vaguely connected with my domain of study --
that's comparative literature -- i strictly follow mla's rules. but
here we're talking about highly informal posts which only have the
purpose of solving problems quickly. in my oppinion, quoting first makes it
more difficult to read emails. if you don't agree, fine, you don't
have to. but show respect (what else could that "peace" of you
mean).