GeForce3: X won't start!!!!

I just got a new GeForce3, and am having problems getting X working at
all. I'm using an AMD 760 based motherboard with a 1ghz Athlon and SB
Live!.

I compiled a new kernel, and the NVIDIA kernel module and GLX package. I
modified XF86Config-4 as the instructions said. When I type "startx", I
get the cool NVIDIA splash screen, and then X just exits. The real
annoyance is there is NO error message given in the log.

I'm using Woody, the newest version (1541) of the NVIDIA drivers, and
the 2.4.9 kernel. This is really bugging me! Help!