Re: Linux RAM drive support/performance

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 05:42:23PM -0400, dman wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 01:49:01PM -0400, Paul McHale wrote:
> |
> | Does Linux support any RAM drive(s)?  How much faster are these drives over
> | an attached drive?  Is there a CPU performance penalty?
>
> According to the kernel FAQ, Linux ext2 implementation is fast enough
> that it is not necessary to implement /tmp as a ramdisk.  Some systems
> (they give stats, I think solaris is one of them) is much slower with
> on-disk filesystems so Sun went with a ramdisk for performance with
> temp files.  I don't think you'll get much, if any, performance boost
> from using a ramdisk.  In the kernel config, look for "shm" (I think)
> in the filesystem section.  If you press "help" on it you'll see a
> discussion of tmpfs (the other name for it).  You can then mount it
> with an entry in /etc/fstab.

To enable a fixed-size ramdisk, you need to select CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM.

To enable the "Virtual Memory Filesystem", choose CONFIG_TMPFS.  The
documentation is a bit confusing for this as it indicates that this
filesystem is intended for POSIX shared memory, but it doesn't say you
can't use it as a ramdisk.  The relevant code is in mm/shmem.c

Cheers,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.