Re: Linux RAM drive support/performance

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 01:49:01PM -0400, Paul McHale wrote:

| Does Linux support any RAM drive(s)?  How much faster are these drives over
| an attached drive?  Is there a CPU performance penalty?

According to the kernel FAQ, Linux ext2 implementation is fast enough
that it is not necessary to implement /tmp as a ramdisk.  Some systems
(they give stats, I think solaris is one of them) is much slower with
on-disk filesystems so Sun went with a ramdisk for performance with
temp files.  I don't think you'll get much, if any, performance boost
from using a ramdisk.  In the kernel config, look for "shm" (I think)
in the filesystem section.  If you press "help" on it you'll see a
discussion of tmpfs (the other name for it).  You can then mount it
with an entry in /etc/fstab.

HTH,
-D