Re: Shall I upgrade to Woody?

Thus spake Sigue:
<snip>
> Some related problems:
> 1. Just checking. If I would want to upgrade to Woody, I'd need to add
> 'testing' or 'woody' to the sources.list,
> and then I'd need to issue 'apt-get dist-upgrade'?

yes - just replace all instances of stable or potato with woody or
testing.  then apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade.

> 2. Is it possible to somehow delete the package database, and make apt
> reread the official ones from debian.org?

You can just comment out the unofficial sources in source.list, and
rerun apt-get update - this will readjust the pool to your
disitribution.

> 3. Is it possible to go back to the state in dselect before you started
> making selections?
> I know that i theory 'R' should go back to the state before the current
> selection, but sometimes it
> seems to get stuck in a loop and alway brings me back the same dependency
> screen.
> Also if I made several selections, but then change my mind and want to go
> back to the state where it was
> when I've started dselect, is this possible?

I believe, although I could be quite wrong, that once you apply the
changes you've selected, they stick in dselect.  You can always use dpkg
to remove the offending packages in the meantime.

Back to your starting question, though.  Potato is now at least a year
(and I think more) out of date, as it has been frozen (no new packages
added, merely bugfixes), so there are many advantages to changing
distributions in order to take advantage of newer software that won't be
available in potato.  However, testing means what it says, it's a work
in progress, and may break at the most inopportune moments.  I know -
has happened to me, usually when I have the least time for it.  But if
you have some background in this type of thing, or don't mind mucking
about in the guts of your OS, I think it's a pretty remarkable
distribution.   I'm pretty new to linux in general, and I'm managing,
although with some amount of bending of the collective ear on this list.
Good luck,
Steve