font problem in kde

Hi,

	I'm experiencing a weird problem in kde:
	- when using kde wm, I can't access all fonts available in my
system; it defaults to a very ugly and almost unreadable font (Arnold
Boecklin).
	- when using another window manager, like wmaker, I launch kde
control center, choose the appropriate font (arial), apply it, the
control center window gets redrawn with the chosen font and every kde
app that I launch will have the right font (arial, courier, whatever).
	Any hint on why this is happening?
	How to find the culprit?

[]s,
Mario O.de Menezes            "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
    IPEN-CNEN/SP                 is the Lord's purpose that prevails"
http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario                 Prov. 19.21